Cwmgwineu Colliery in Cwm Dyffryn, above Goytre, opened at the end of the 19th century. Two seams of coal, Rock Fach and Rock Fawr, were mined over the years and the economic path of the mine is captured in the number of men who worked there: seven in 1899, four in 1901. In 1923 there were 120 men working underground and 89 men on the surface. There were 500 working there in 1926. It closed in 1927.
Source: The Collieries of the Afan Valley and the Port Talbot Areas, Ray Lawrence BSc., privately published 2008.